Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Missing Newfoundland

On Sunday morning, as I lay in bed with my curtains drawn, I heard what I thought was the sound of a bank of snow falling off the roof of the house. I imagined I was in my Dad’s home in Glovertown and that it was a glorious, white, snow abound, winter wonderland outside. (Really it was only a towel that had fallen off the back of my door). Nevertheless, I spent the morning reminiscent of my winter experiences in Newfoundland. Banks of snow falling off the roof were a common sound – as were the sounds of skidoos zippin around on the frozen ocean in my backyard and also up and down the street in my front yard. The best though were all those school cancellations! If I try hard enough I can still feel the anticipation I would feel when Ran, Lar and Deb from OZFM would announce the winter-storm warnings and/or school cancellations. It’d be 8am and the phone ringing off the hook with friends making plans for skating or ski-dooing or both. It was nice having all that snow. Here, in Calgary though, we don’t see too much of it unfortunately and fortunately. Cities and snow don’t mix as nicely as small towns and snow do. I very much look forward to the day when I have that unlimited, abundant cash flow and I live in my Dad’s house for one month every winter! :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment