Monday, October 25, 2010

Attachments

What am I attached to? Rather, what material possession would I find myself incomplete without? What do I own that I feel I need, in other words? What is my favorite possession? Hmmmm.

Practicing honesty in the most sincerest sense, I can tell this is going to be difficult. Difficult not because there’s so many items I love and feel attached to, but because there is a lack thereof. Perhaps this isn't the topic for a low-maintenance minimalist. Well if anything, food for thought. Questions for us all to ponder.

First of all, I don’t have any assets. Nothing to brag about at the bank. No car, no mortgage. Nothing at all actually, in terms of monetary value. Not even a cellphone. The single most expensive thing I own (aside from my student loan, of course) is my $200 bicycle, and that was a gift from Logan. Next in line would be my little Canon camera which has probably depreciated to about $50, if that. I own an Ipod Nano (also a gift from Logan). Couch was free. Shelving unit, $15 secondhand. Ooooooh, my bed! I paid close to $400 bones for that! There we go, that may be considered an asset. Maybe this “lack” isn’t a good thing. But, maybe it is? As previously mentioned, I like simple living and simply living.

Back on the subject, what am I attached to? The answer is nothing. Nothing material anyways. A couple of years ago Logan shrunk my favorite sweater. Initially I was pretty upset but to cope I cued in to the intended lesson which was: it’s just a piece of material, it doesn’t define me nor in any way contribute to who I am, I don’t need it, etc.. Ever since that lesson, my relationship with the things I own has been quite mature.

I am, however, attached to several people in my life, i.e. my boyfriend, my brother, my Dad, my best friends, etc.. They're not material possessions of course but rather my family, and I sure as heck would feel incomplete without them. (**Family, afterall, is not about blood, but about love and commitment.** ..for those who know me well, I just had to throw that in there! Totally my favorite saying!)

What do I own that I feel I need? To answer this question, I've been spending my days very consciously aware of my usages, customs, and practices. I have found tap water and the food in my fridge and cupboards to be my necessities. Going further, I have been paying close attention to the products I feel I need: shampoo, soap and toothpaste. It’s been getting pretty cold outside so heat is on this list. As well, I can’t sleep without blankets. Of course, the money to buy these things is also a requirement.

What I think I need and what my favorite possessions consist of are interconnected. I love Tetley teabags and I enjoy facial moisturizer a couple of days a week. Footwear is kind of nice. Clothing is alright too, but not a necessity – as I love being in the nude. I need birth control pills. But most of all, I need red wine. If put out on the street homeless tomorrow, with only the clothes on my back, I would miss my bank card the most as without it, I wouldn’t be able to buy me a bottle of wine!

No comments:

Post a Comment